Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Frederick Douglass Personal Response

My reading of the Narrative of Frederick Douglass has been the most insightful experience yet in syntactical structure. My favorite scene in the narrative of Frederick Douglass is when Frederick tells the story of how the slave meets his master on the road and is not aware that is this master. The slave tells the man that he is not completely satisfied with his master, and he is not aware its his master that he is talking about. Frederick later describes that the same slave that had the encounter with his master was sold off to Georgia slave traders. Frederick used this image to justify why all slaves would lie about the conditions in which they were kept in order to keep from getting sold. If I could read the narrative again I would probably pay more attention to detail because there were a lot of little puns that I did not realize until they were pointed out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment